Diffusion For the Hyper Connected World
December 24, 2022 | DiffusionData
The latest news, views, and announcements
By Riaz Mohammed, CTO DiffusionData
Our world is getting more and more hyper-connected and there is no sign of any slowdown. Those who were resisting being digital, were forced during covid. As the world becomes increasingly comfortable with technology, we can safely say, almost everyone and most devices, are connected to the digital world, producing and consuming data. In the age of Industry convergence, invisible payments and tailored products and services, the expectation of consumers is sky high. There are countries where a mortgage can be secured, and house sale completed in a day. A farmer would prefer to receive realtime prices for commodities via mobile app instead of checking with a broker. Travelers prefer to pay using apps or cards which perform currency conversions at the best rate before paying, all in an instant. To make all of this happen computers and devices are communicating and processing information at very high speed.
So how does Diffusion Platform help in all this?
The digital world had 3 key ingredients:
- computers/servers and devices which process and serve or consume data
- the data itself and
- the network which makes the communication possible.
The cost of delivering a digital value chain in products or services, is dependent on the cost of processing and communicating data. With more and more applications and platforms now hosted in the cloud, these costs are very significant. If technology requires high-power computers and transmits a lot of data, then it will increase the operational costs. However, as applications cater to ever growing consumers with increased amounts of data being transmitted, bandwidth cost is easily taking up the lion’s share of the costs.
|Diffusion is an intelligent data platform which has features built in for hyper-personalized communication, with edge devices at internet scale whilst keeping bandwidth usage very low, in some cases up to 90%.
Diffusion combines capabilities like PubSub, Caching, Time Series, Data Wrangling and Advanced Edge Data Distribution in a single platform.
So how does Diffusion bring down the Bandwidth usage?
Diffusion communicates with edge devices using bi-directional WebSocket. Once the secure and reliable connection is established, Diffusion uses multiple methods to ensure only the optimum amount of data is communicated between the server and client. These capabilities are:
- Conflation: Diffusion can merge or discard old events to ensure only most relevant event is published .
- Delta Compression: Diffusion can computer the binary difference between old and new event and only send the difference to the client. A diffusion client library in the client app will merge delta message with old event to create the new event. This can save up to 90% of bandwidth usage.
- Throttling: Diffusion can be configured to send only a prescribed no events during a set interval.
- Compression: Diffusion compresses data before sending it across the wire.
These capabilities provide multiple ways to reduce bandwidth usage without any adverse effect on performance. Large enterprises like Investments Banks and Exchanges can save on operational cost considerably by bringing down bandwidth usage and cost. For example: market data, fix communication, retail banking, trading apps, etc .